Find out what your child is learning
Educational insights: Tap Supermarket
This popular game is all about resource management. The goal is to maximize profit by reducing wait lines and restocking shelves in a timely manner.
ASK YOUR CHILD ABOUT...
Managing a grocery store
- What do you notice if you do not re-supply the shelves quickly enough in the game? What would happen in a real grocery store in the same situation?
- Can you think of any good solutions to speed up the checkout line?
Local vs distance produce
- Where do all the food/goods/supplies come from in a store? Getting children to think about where the stuff that they consume comes from. Ex: Farming/agriculture, factories and even laboratories.
- What are some locally grown foods in your area? Helping your local farmers saves on transportation costs and benefits the people in your community.
- A fun research question-If you were to track the path of a banana travelling from Jamaica to your local grocery store how far (how many miles/kms) would it take? This would put into perspective the time, money, and effort it takes to get food to a store.
Looking at food from a cultural standpoint
- Investigation question: Do you notice any other languages on the food or items you buy? Ex: here in Canada all food has English and French. When you look at other products such as electronics you get an instruction manual with lots of different languages.